WordPress solutions for agencies and small businesses

Hi, my name is Alex Mansfield. I partner with agencies and small businesses to design, develop, and maintain high quality WordPress websites.

Latest Posts

Remove formatting when pasting text by default

When pasting text into the WordPress classic editor, the default behavior is to keep the formatting of the pasted content. The keeps things like links working, but it also keeps font colors, sizes, and other formatting that may be undesirable. To change the default behavior so that by default all formatting is removed, we can […]

Adding a menu item to the Beaver Builder admin menu

Beaver Builder has a top level menu item in the WordPress admin menu. However, it doesn’t allow new menu items to be added using the standard WordPress methods. After reading a bunch of the Beaver Builder code base, I was able to find the filter that handles the submenu items in the /extensions/fl-builder-user-templates/classes/class-fl-builder-user-templates-admin-menu.php file. The […]

Improving Beaver Builder’s Video Lightbox

For some reason, Beaver Builder’s video lightbox opens quite small, even on large screens. I wanted the lightbox to take up most of the screen, so I used the following CSS to make that happen: .mfp-iframe-holder .mfp-content { max-width: 95%; aspect-ratio: 16/9; height: auto; } @media (min-aspect-ratio: 16/9) { .mfp-iframe-holder .mfp-content { height: 95%; aspect-ratio: […]

Disable WordPress Comments Programmatically

This post exists primarily for my own future reference. Sometimes I want to disable all comments without using a plugin. The code below borrows heavily (maybe even copies blatantly!) from a couple GitHub repositories I came across a while ago: – https://gist.github.com/mattclements/eab5ef656b2f946c4bfb – https://gist.github.com/alexwoollam/2f4bcd4eb4740eb49562131290248f26 Here’s the code: /** * Disable post type support for comments […]

The Trouble with Accessibility Overlays

I think I first became familiar with accessibe.com when their clients started getting sued for accessibility issues (https://twitter.com/karlgroves/status/1349800053985206274). Among people working in the accessibility field, overlays like Accessibe have such a bad reputation that 700 specialists have signed the Overlay Fact Sheet (https://overlayfactsheet.com/) explaining the pitfalls of accessibility overlays. In my own testing, I’ve noticed […]

Enabling SmartSlider3 Support for the Editor Role

By default, the SmartSlider3 plugin only allows administrators to create/edit/delete sliders. In many cases, administrators may want to grant editors the ability to manage sliders. To do that, the following code can be placed in the active theme’s functions.php file (or in a plugin). /** * Give editors access to SmartSlider3 * * @see: https://developer.wordpress.org/plugins/users/roles-and-capabilities/ […]